Why should I bother going to some conference on leading Worship? I'm a horn player. We don't lead worship, we just play our instruments and try to stay out of the way. I was very confused as to why Aaron wanted me to attend this conference. I went out of respect to him as a leader of my church. I had to drag myself there on Thursday. I got there to find out there was only one class on using horns in worship and that was on Friday. Oh, great! Why am I here? My heart was hardening, my ears were closing and Satan was smiling.
Then the first speaker said, "You must have a servants heart to lead." A theme that was repeated many times over the next two days. I went from confused to convicted. I opened my ears and closed my mouth and asked God to do a work in me. I met other believers who long for what we have here. I met worship leaders who have 8 members of their team and NO instrumentalists. I prayed with worship leaders who are going home with a renewed spirit and a refreshed outlook, knowing that when they get home, only they will have changed. They will be facing trials to try and bring their new knowledge to their home church. I felt the blessings of God, "pouring out like hot honey" and I felt closer to Him than I had in a long time.
I don't know how to move forward with this. I felt God telling me, I am not using His gifts enough for His glory. I need to a part of a song writing community group. Dedicated to lifting Him up, in New Song. We don't have one, so I guess I need to start one. I don't have a clue how it would work but I think that's up to Him.
Aaron, thank you for encouraging me to attend this conference. God has begun a new work in me.
Steve
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Steve,
You're an amazing guy to serve with. I'm so glad you came and that you were as inspired as I was.
See you on Sunday!
Aaron
Hey Steve,
i was very happy to see you there -- and i had a feeling you'd love it!
also, i have thought about working on 'song of the Lord'....spontaneous song...whatever you want to label it, many times. my pastor & mentor from previous years has been teaching & creating environments on that very concept since the 70's! all that to say, i have had lots of experience with it.
if you want to generate interest and get something going, i would be most honored to support it and be a foundational instrument, starting w/various progressions. there are many practical things that can be done.....we can talk more. Gary Lowry would be another person who could help to get others in the groove. please let me know if that sounds interesting to you!! it is WAY fun and becomes second nature.
thanks for being such a faithful teammember and friend. you are gold in our rolling hills :-)
in Christ
liz
Post a Comment